Mission 2010: Phase 1

Journey towards 2010 fall admits has formally started. Unlike 2006 one, this one will be very very well planned. Though those who know me have never associated word "planning" with me.
I have always been "on the fly" , impulsive kind . But this journey will (i am not using "would" ) be unlike any other. As I know this will be my last shot and this one better be damn good.

If i dissect this journey, it will have following phases -
Phase 1 : January to May - GMAT, school selection, networking :

GMAT - 720 is less. Till this morning I was not sure if I should take GMAT again. But again after discussing it with Mr ISB, all my doubts have come to rest. Yes GMAT journey begins again. Preamble of this journey is - "Leave no stoned unturned.". There can be a counter argument that 720 is good and i should invest my time on improving my resume and networking et al. But considering market situation and looking at scores that Indians are posting on various gmat sites, 720 today has become 680 of yester years. And there is no point in regretting that I missed out on any of the school because of lower gmat. Target score for gmat - 760+!!!

School selection : This is a daunting task, 1000 times more cumbersome then gmat. They all look alike yet they all are different. Exploring websites, reading blogs(some useful and some uttery crappy), calling alums, students and admission committes. Finding the "best fit". I have already have a list but I am sure it would undergo amendments over next few months -

1> ROSS
2> Fuqua
3> UCLA
4> TUCK
5>Cornell
6> Darden



Networking : VG - Alum at Duke, my first contact in this journey. I know i bombarded him with some very obvious and open ended questions. VG - forgive me for that. Thumb rule is - you can't hope to know any of these schools without visiting them. But I can't visit all the schools - so before visits I need to have a network in place. Getting complicated - you are not at fault, it is very complicated.

Have to be through with Phase1 before applications essays are out - June.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAILURE

Thank you, Mr PM

Goodbye Jumbo!!!